Healthy Church Team
as of may 20, 2020
To create a plan and timeline for reopening the church building, a Healthy Church Team has been formed. While reopening is weeks, and possibly months away, we want to be prepared to recognize when the time is right and that safeguards are in place. We hope you'll continue worshiping online with Mount Olivet and joining us throughout the week for online groups and studies.
The Mount Olivet Church Building is closed and sanitized. Please do not enter the building unless authorized.
What is canceled?
as of tuesday, 6/2/20
- On-Site Worship Services
- Sunday School
- Youth Group
- All activities and meetings
- Wednesday Night Dinners
- Troop 167 has temporarily cancelled whole troop meetings and outings.
- Mount Olivet Preschool
- Community Assistance
- All summer mission trips
- In-person Vacation Bible School
What about Community Assistance?
Due to the growing concerns about the spread of COVID-19 and the new restrictions on public gatherings, it is with heavy hearts that we are cancelling Mount Olivet's Community Assistance ministry until further notice.
We have decided to partner with the Arlington Food Assistance Center (AFAC) and the Arlington Street People's Assistance Network (ASPAN) to support their efforts in our community. We have been in touch with both organizations and they are thrilled to receive our support. They have been able to put procedures in place to screen their volunteers, effectively clean their facilities and enforce proper social distancing measures to keep their guests and volunteers safe.
Thank you for all of your love and support for our ministry. We will keep you posted on the status of our operations.
What about summer programs?
as of 6/2/20
- The Jeremiah Project and Garrett County mission trips have been canceled. Please contact Sam Riedel for more information.
- In-person Vacation Bible School is canceled. We are looking at alternatives.
What about staff at Mount Olivet?
- Staff are teleworking at home.
- Hourly workers will be paid during this time.
How can we care for the congregation?
- You can submit prayer requests here and use this list to pray for others.
- We have a list of volunteer callers who have been calling our Senior Adults who are not well connected to internet or social media and have been more isolated during this challenging time. This is our way of keeping them connected to Mount Olivet with news of the church. If you are interested in making a few calls to our Senior Adults (2-4 calls per week), please contact Tina at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tina will email the list of Senior Adults and conversation topics each week.
- Please continue to support Mount Olivet's ministry and mission financially. If you have not already done so, you can arrange through the church to have your tithe automatically paid on a schedule you choose. You can explore options by visiting mountolivetumc.com/give
What can we do for our children?
Children sense heightened anxiety due to COVID-19. These resources from Arlington Public Schools can help in talking with them:
- NPR for Kids: Exploring the Coronavirus
- Tips for Discussing Coronavirus with Children (National Association of School Psychologists and National Association of School Nurses)
- Talking to Kids about the Coronavirus (Child Mind Institute)
- NBC: How to Talk to Kids
We are sending emails every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. These emails include a devotional, community updates, and prayers.