Start of The Day Procedures
Will there be daily temperature checks before entrance?
No. Please check your child's temperature at home prior and complete the daily health check through HiMAMA prior to coming to school.
Will parents be allowed in the building for pick up and drop off?
Only one (1) adult (after daily health check with child), wearing a face mask, will be permitted in the building.
Will the 15th Street Circle be used as a drop-zone?
We will have several drop-off areas in order to do the health checks quickly and efficiently, located near the parking lot and the 15th Street Circle.
Who will be required to wear masks?
- All staff and adults entering the indoor preschool areas are required to wear face masks.
- As of March 14, 2022, masking became optional for all children. Masking will be required at school if the community levels in Arlington County are high. MOPS uses the CDC's COIVD-19 Community Check for determining mask requirements.
Class Sizes and Ratios
Are the class sizes different?
Since MOPS is dedicated to lower class sizes and better teacher-student ratios that is required by Virginia DSS during COVID, we did not have to adjust our class sizes.
What are the class sizes and ratios for the 2021-2022 school year?
At this time, MOPS has the following class sizes and ratios:
- Toddler/Young 2s classes = 10 children max with 2 teachers and a floater available if needed
- 2s classes = 13 children max with 3 teachers
- 3s classes = 15 children max with 2 teachers and a floater available if needed
- 3 Day 4s class = 12 children max with 2 teachers and a floater available if needed
- 5 Day 4s class = 16 children max with 2 teachers and a floater available if needed
- 5s class = 12-14 children max with 2 teachers and a floater available if needed (2 classrooms are available for this group if needed)
Free Play, Playground, Outside Classes
What emphasis will be placed on more outdoor play, air purifiers, and opening windows?
We are increasing outside time as much as possible – having the extra fenced-in areas will help with that. The preschool utilizes a combination of air purifiers and open windows to increase fresh air.
How many classes will be allowed on the playground at once?
We have three (3) fenced-in areas so the numbers of groups will increase to allow for more outside time for instruction and play.
Will we still use the Fellowship Hall (“running room”)?
Yes. As long as cleaning of toys occurs between groups in accordance with VADSS regulations.
Snack and Lunch
How will lunch and snack be handled?
- Families will continue to bring their healthy, peanut-free/tree-nut free lunch, as well as a snack. Items must be cut so the children can pick up and eat the food with minimal teacher intervention.
- Water must also be in a thermos with the child’s name. We will only provide small water bottles to supplement when needed.
- Classrooms will have more tables and/or mats for floor picnics to increase space between children or lunch will be eaten outside.
- At this time, only pre-packed, ‘school-safe’ foods will be accepted for birthday and other classroom celebrations.
Arlington Department of Health Required Closures
If a positive case of COVID-19 occurs, will the entire preschool shut down for 2 weeks, or just infected class?
No. All close contacts who remain symptom free may return to school immediately under the Test to Stay policy.
How will COVID-19 cleaning occur?
- Mount Olivet has hired a new cleaning company that is certified/trained for cleaning large, shared spaces for daily use and COVID-19. Each classroom and shared space that is used within the building will be cleaned that night.
- Faculty will clean tables and shared toys/activities periodically throughout the day in compliance with guidance from the Arlington Health Department, the Virginia Department of Social Services, and the Center for Disease Control.
- Additionally, all will wash hands according to CDC guidance, when entering the building, before/after meals, before/after sensory/visual art activities, and periodically throughout the day as needed.
Will there be an opportunity for teachers to get vaccines?
All Mount Olivet Preschool staff are fully vaccinated.
Church and preschool administrators, the Preschool Committee and the Church Trustees are working together to make Mount Olivet staff, faculty, students and families as safe as possible during this unusual circumstance.